PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Happy Birthday Zora!

If you want me to turn into a chatter box, ask me about The Harlem Renaissance.  I looooooove this period of time in history.  LOVE.  

The Harlem Renaissance was a cultural movement in the 1920's.  It was a creative awakening when African Americans fully embraced literary, musical, theatrical and visual arts.  The movement originated in the Harlem section of New York, but wasn't confined to that area.  Its impact grew and created a huge impact on the consciousness of the world.
  

Zora Neale Hurston was one of The Harlem Renaissance's most popular artists.  An amazing storyteller, her writings were bold and honest.  She was fearless and made no apologies for living her life exactly how she wanted.  If you really want to experience her greatness, read Their Eyes Were Watching God.  Zora wrote it in 1937, after the ending of a love affair she had with a younger man.  A beautiful piece of work.  A masterpiece.


Today is Zora's birthday (she passed away in 1960).  I wish I had an opportunity to meet her.  I think we would have liked each other.  We're both from Florida.  Writing is our first love.  We both have a wicked sense of humor. Soooo much in common!  Yeah, we would have definitely hit it off.  The best way I can honor her now is to try & live my life the way her writings read: Vivid, spirit-filled, fearless and love embodied.  

The universe gave birth to a gift named Zora.  For that, we should all collectively give a heartfelt...thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment